Dr Yang Li
Smart City Research Group, Culture & Environment Research Group
Department of Engineering & Computing , School of Architecture Computing and Engineering (ACE)
Dr Yang Li is a specialist in data analysis, data mining, data quality and geocomputation. He is a senior lecturer and the programme leader of Data Science (MSc and Professional Doctorate) in University of East London. He is also a Fellow of Royal Geographical Society, a Fellow of Royal Statistical
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society (RGS)
- Fellow, Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member, Association of Geographic Information (AGI)
Areas Of Interest
Data analysis, Data quality, Data management, Data mining, Data modelling and GIS, in the application areas of policing and crime, healthcare services, education, business and finance, urban development, community and environment.
Data Science and Geographic Information Science
- Quantitative analysis
- Data mining & modelling
- Data quality & data management
- Big Data and Smart City
- Spatial data analysis
- Spatial Data quality analysis
- GIS and Environmental modelling
- Location-Based Services (LBS)
Dr Yang Li has rich experiences in both applications and research of data analysis. Particularly, he has expertise in data mining, data integration and geocomputational analysis including data quality modelling and sensitivity analyses. He is a Senior Lecturer and the programme leader of Data Science (MSc and Professional Doctorate) in University of East London. He is also a Fellow of Royal Geographical Society, a Fellow of Royal Statistical Society, and a Fellow of Higher Education Academy.
He has participated in numerous secondary data analysis projects, including for EU, OGI, KPMG LLP, NHS, local councils and charity organisations. He has undertaken a range of research projects funded by Department of Health, British Academy and ESRC. His works cover areas of crime, health, education, planning, community and environment.
Dr Yang Li has a number of papers published in peer-review research journals, edited books, international conferences and technology magazines.
RESEARCH AND IMPACT
Secondary data analysis projects, including for EU, OGI, KPMG LLP, NHS, local councils and charity organisations. A range of research projects funded by Department of Health, British Academy and ESRC. Application areas of crime, health, education, planning, community and environment.
MOST RECENT RESEARCH
- Present: UCL Bloomsbury and East London Doctoral Training Partnership
- 2021: Cryptocurrency market modelling
- 2016: Smart Cities - Promoting Resilience in Newham
Journal papers, books and book chapters
- 2020 "Evidencing the Impacts of the Olympic Games - the view from London 2012" , Social Impacts of Rio 2016, Routledge, London: 229-250
- 2015 The London Olympics and Urban Development: The Mega-Event City, Routledge
- 2012 "Mobile Geographic Information Systems" Ubiquitous Positioning and Mobile Location-based Services in Smart Phones, IGI Global: 230-253
- 2009 "Evidencing Population Change for Sustainable Community" Urban Design and Planning, 162: 159-167
- 2008 "Agent-Based Services for Validating Multi-Agent Models" Computers, Environment & Urban Systems, 32:464-473
- 2007 "Control of spatial discretisation in coastal oil spill modelling" International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 9: 392-402
- 2007 "Improving geocoding rates in preparation for crime data analysis" International Journal of Police Science and Management, 9: 80-92
- 2006 "Mobile Space-time Envelopes for Location-Based Services" TGIS, Vol.l0, Issue.1: 5-23
- 2004 "Using GIS techniques to evaluate community sustainability in open forestlands in Sub-Saharan Africa" Methodologies, Models and Instruments for Rural and Urban Development, Ashgate Publishing: 146-163
- 2000 "Spatial Data Quality and Sensitivity Analysis in GIS and Environmental Modelling: The Case of Coastal Oil Spills" Computers, Environment & Urban Systems, 24:95-108
- 2016 "Spatial Analysis for Equitable Accessibility in Social Infrastructure Planning" in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Design & Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning (DDSS), Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- 2012 "An approach to data enrichment of building features using Delaunay triangulation for automatic map generalization" in Proceedings of the GIS Research UK 20th Annual Conference, Lancaster, Lancaster University: 235-240.
- 2012 "Open Data and the Monitoring of the Sustainability of a London 2012 Legacy" Researching and Evaluating the Games Conference, London, Department for Culture Media and Sport, UK.
- 2011 "A New Variable for Spatial Accessibility Measurement in Social Infrastructure Planning" Proceedings 11th International Conference on GeoComputation, London, University College London.
- 2009 "Agent-Based Distributed Component Services in Spatial Modelling" In Computational Science and its Applications - ICCSA 2009 (eds. Gervasi et al.) Springer, Berlin: 300-312.
- 2008 "Scenario-based Small Area Population Modelling for Social Infrastructure Planning" in Proceedings of GISRUK2008, Manchester: 348-353.
- 2007 "Agent-Based Services for Validating Multi-Agent Models" in Proceedings of GeoComputation 2007, Maynooth, National University of Ireland.
- 2006 "Spatial Data Quality Analysis with Agent Technologies" in Proceedings of GISRUK2006, Nottingham: 250-254.
- 2005 "Agent Technologies for Spatial Data Quality Analysis in Environmental Modelling" in Proceedings of GeoComputation 2005, Ann Arbor, University of Michigan.
- 2005 "The Thames Gateway Crime and Design Project" in 3rd UK National Crime Mapping Conference, April 2005, London.
- 2004 "Control of Spatial Discretisation in Coastal Oil Spill Modelling" in Proceedings of GISRUK2004, Norwich, Vol.12: 64-68.
- 2004 "Dynamic Space-Time Envelopes for Location-Based Services" in Visualization and multimedia: Wireless GIS & LBS, Bristol.
- 2003 "A Spatial Data Quality Analysis Engine for Coastal Oil-Spill Modelling" in Oil Spill, Oil Pollution and Remediation, Istanbul: 43-54.
- 2002 "Assessing the Quality Implications of Accessing Spatial Data: the Case for GIS and Environmental Modelling" in Proceedings of GISRUK2002, Sheffield, Vol.10: 68-71.
- 2000 "Error Propagation Analysis for Complex Environmental Modelling - the case of spatial data quality in coastal oil spill modelling” in Accuracy 2000, Delft University Press, Amsterdam: 409-416.
- 1999 "Sensitivity to spatial data quality in numerical modelling coastal oil spill" in Proceedings of GISRUK'99, Southampton, Vol. 7: 104-107.
- 1998 "Spatial data quality and coastal spill modelling" in Oil and Hydrocarbon Spills: Modelling, Analysis and Control, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton: 53-62.
- 2015 "A New Approach on Rapid Appraisal of Green Roof Potential in Urban Area" LIDAR Magazine, Vol 5 Issue 5 (July 2015): 55-57.
- 2021 "What Goes Up……: modelling the Bitcoin rollercoaster ride" ResearchGate, DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.23057.97120.
- 2021 "Big Data Quantitative Risk Analysis Method for Machine Health Indicator Prediction" ScienceOpen, DOI: 10.14293/S2199-1006.1.SOR-.PP55DCW.v1.
- DS7001 Data Ecology
- DS7002 Spatial Data Analysis
- DS7003 Advance Decision Making - Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning
- DS7004 Work-based Project Review
- DS7005 Planning for Doctoral Research
- DS7006 Quantitative Data Analysis
- DS7010 MSc Data Science Dissertation
- CN8001 Applied Research Tools & Techniques
MSc Data Science
Look at data across a wide range of subjects, including finance, crime, the environment, housing, education, demographics and social media.Read more
Prof Doc Data Science
This course is aimed at professionals who wish to enhance and/or validate data-centric, evidence-based approaches within their chosen career.Read more