Dr S.Ali Ghorashi
Co-leader of Smart City Research Group; Machine Learning, Telecommunications, Internet of Things (IoT)
Department of Engineering & Computing , School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering
Dr Seyed Ali Ghorashi has more than 20 years of experience in industry and academia on optimisation, resource allocation and applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithms in Internet of Behavior (IoB), Positioning, Cellular and Ad-hoc Networks. He is a Fellow of Higher Education (FHEA) and a senior member of IEEE, has published more than 120 journal and conference papers and has experience in National and European projects.
- BSc, MSc, PhD, FHEA, MBCS
Dr Seyed Ali Ghorashi is a Professional Member of the British Computer Society (MBCS), a Fellow of Higher Education (FHEA), and a Senior Member of IEEE.
Areas Of Interest
Seyed Ali Ghorashi’s research interests include optimization, signal processing and applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in healthcare, resource allocation, 5G and beyond Telecommunication networks, positioning & tracking, Internet of Behaviour (IoB), smart cities, security & privacy, Robotics, and self-drive vehicles.
Dr Seyed Ali Ghorashi received his BSc and MSc in Electrical & Computer Engineering, both from the University of Tehran, Iran, in 1992 and 1995, respectively. He then received his PhD at King’s College London in Telecommunications & Networks in 2003 and worked there as a research fellow.
In 2006, he joined Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd. as a senior researcher and then he joined Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran, and worked there first as an assistant professor and then, since 2014, as an associate professor. He also was the deputy of research of Cyberspace Research Institute at Shahid Beheshti University for four years. He also has collaboration with Kingston University, Goldsmiths University of London and Middlesex University and now is a senior lecturer at the Department of Computer Science & Digital Technologies, School of Architecture, Computing, and Engineering, University of East London, and also co-leader of Smart City research group, and the Year Tutor of L7 students of MSc Big Data Technologies, MSc Inf Sec & Digital Forensics, and MSc AI students.
He has more than 20 years of experience in industry and academia and has been involved in many national as well as international projects such as Core 2 & 4 research programme of UK Virtual Centre of Excellence (Mobile VCE); Dreams4Cars (European projects for self-driving cars); active participation in 3GPP technical meetings for IEEE 802.16 standard; and has proposed and successfully completed a £200,000 EPSRC project at King’s College London. He also has accomplished four funded research projects at Shahid Beheshti University.
Dr Ghorashi is a Fellow of Higher Education (FHEA) and a senior member of IEEE, has supervised more than 150 MSc, 12 PhD and 2 post-doc students, has four US patents, and published more than 120 technical research papers in high quality journal and international conferences (Google Scholar H-index = 25, i10-index = 59).
He is a technical reviewer of prestigious journals such as IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence, IEEE IoT Journal, Expert Systems with Applications (Elsevier), IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Sensors Journal, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Signal Processing (Elsevier) and more. He has been the guest editor of a special issue of Sensors Journal (MDPI) in “Machine Learning (ML) in Internet of Things (IoT) and Indoor Positioning/Localization”, and the guest editor of a special issue of Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environments on “Intelligent software services for IoT and edge computing”.
Technical reviewer of prestigious journals such as:
- IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence
- IEEE IoT Journal
- Expert Systems With Applications (Elsevier)
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- IEEE Sensors Journal
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- IEEE Communications Magazine
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
- Signal Processing (Elsevier) and more
Guest editor of journals:
- Special issue of Sensors journal (MDPI) in Machine Learning (ML) in Internet of Things (IoT) and Indoor Positioning/Localization
- Special issue on intelligent software services for IoT and edge computing, Journal of Reliable Intelligent
I also have been the Communication committee chair of the 22nd Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE 2014).
Dr Seyed Ali Ghorashi has four US patents, and published more than 120 technical research papers in high quality journal and international conferences (Google Scholar H-index = 25, i10-index = 59). He also has been involved in national and international projects such as Core 2 & 4 Mobile VCE, Dreams4Cars, EPSRC and active participation in 3GPP technical meetings for IEEE 802.16 standard.
- Internet of Behavior (most recent publication)
- House price estimation using machine learning techniques (most recent publication)
- Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) (most recent publication)
- Smart City Research Group
- Centre of Fintech
- Ford, Adrian, Ameer Al-Nemrat, Seyed Ali Ghorashi, and Julia Davidson. "The Impact of CISO Appointment Announcements on the Market Value of Firms." In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Information Warfare and Security, p. 375. 2022.
- Alwan, Ahmed Abdulhasan, Mihaela Anca Ciupala, Allan J. Brimicombe, Seyed Ali Ghorashi, Andres Baravalle, and Paolo Falcarin. "Data quality challenges in large-scale cyber-physical systems: A systematic review." Information Systems 105 (2022): 101951.
- Awonaike, Adebayosoye, Seyed Ali Ghorashi, and Rawad Hammaad. "A Machine Learning Framework for House Price Estimation." In International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, pp. 965-976. Springer, Cham, 2022.
- Nabati, Mohammad, Seyed Ali Ghorashi, and Reza Shahbazian. "Confidence interval estimation for fingerprint-based indoor localization." Ad Hoc Networks (2022): 102877.
- Nabati, Mohammad, Seyed Ali Ghorashi, and Reza Shahbazian. "JGPR: a computationally efficient multi-target Gaussian process regression algorithm." Machine Learning (2022): 1-24.
- Fard Moshiri, Parisa, Reza Shahbazian, Mohammad Nabati, and Seyed Ali Ghorashi. "A CSI-Based Human Activity Recognition Using Deep Learning." Sensors 21, no. 21 (2021): 7225.
- H. Navidan, P. F. Moshiri, M. Nabati, R. Shahbazian, S. A. Ghorashi, V. Shah-Mansouri, and D. Windridge, “Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) in networking: A comprehensive survey & evaluation,” Computer Networks, p. 108149, 2021.
- Z. E. Khatab, A. H. Gazestani, S. A. Ghorashi, and M. Ghavami, “A fingerprint technique for indoor localization using autoencoder based semi-supervised deep extreme learning machine,” Signal Processing, vol. 181, p. 107915, 2021.
- E. K. Ghafi, E. Mehrshahi, and S. A. Ghorashi, “Reconfigurable Linear Antenna Arrays for Beam-pattern Matching in Collocated MIMO Radars,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems (early access), 2021.
- A. M. Sazdar, N. Alikhani, S. A. Ghorashi, and A. Khonsari, “Privacy preserving in indoor fingerprint localization and radio map expansion,” Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 121-134, 2021.
- Ford, Adrian, Ameer Al-Nemrat, S. Ali Ghorashi, and Julia Davidson. "The Impact of GDPR Infringement Fines on the Market Value of Firms." In ECCWS 2021-Proceeding of the 20th European Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, pp. 473-481. Academic Conferences International Limited, 2021.
- Ford, Adrian, Ameer Al-Nemrat, S. Ali Ghorashi, and Julia Davidson. "The Impact of Data Breach Announcements on Company Value in European Markets." In WEIS 2021: The 20th Annual Workshop on the Economics of Information Security. 2021.
- M. Nabati, S. A. Ghorashi, and R. Shahbazian, “Joint Coordinate Optimization in Fingerprint-Based Indoor Positioning,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1192-1195, 2020.
- A. H. Gazestani, S. A. Ghorashi, Z. Yang, and M. Shikh-Bahaei, “Joint Optimization of Power and Location in Full-Duplex UAV Enabled Systems,” IEEE Systems Journal (early access), 2020.
- N. Alikhani, V. Moghtadaiee, and S. A. Ghorashi, “Fingerprinting based indoor localization considering the dynamic nature of wi-fi signals,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 1445-1464, 2020.
- A. H. Gazestani, S. A. Ghorashi, Z. Yang, and M. Shikh-Bahaei, “Resource Allocation in Full-Duplex UAV Enabled Multi Small Cell Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (early access), 2020.
- A. M. Sazdar, S. A. Ghorashi, V. Moghtadaiee, A. Khonsari, and D. Windridge, “A Low-complexity trajectory privacy preservation approach for indoor fingerprinting positioning systems,” Journal of Information Security and Applications, vol. 53, p. 102515, 2020.
- S. K. Rashed, R. Asvadi, S. Rajabi, S. A. Ghorashi, and M. G. Martini, “Power allocation for D2D communications using max-min message-passing algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 8443-8458, 2020.
- B. Mousavinasab, A. H. Gazestani, S. A. Ghorashi, and M. Shikh-Bahaei, “Throughput improvement by mode selection in hybrid duplex wireless networks,” Wireless Networks, pp. 1-13, 2020.
- N. Nabati, H. Navidan, R. Shahbazian, S. A. Ghorashi, and D. Windridge, “Using Synthetic Data to Enhance the Accuracy of Fingerprint-Based Localization: A Deep Learning Approach,” IEEE Sensors Letters, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1-4, 2020.
- V. Moghtadaiee, N. Alikhani, and S. A. Ghorashi, “Low-cost localisation considering LOS/NLOS impacts in challenging indoor environments,” International Journal of Sensor Networks, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 15-24, 2020.
List of patents
- Cellular communications systems, A. Aghvami, F. Said, S. A. Ghorashi, L. Wang - US Patent App. 10/521,536, 2006.
- Virtual antenna array, M. Dohler, A. H. Aghvami, F. Said, S. A. Ghorashi - US Patent 7,594,010, 2009.
- Electronic data communication systems, M. Dohler, A. H. Aghvami, F. Said, S. A. Ghorashi - US Patent App. 12/426,383, 2009.
- Method and system for frequency relaying, M. Dohler, A. H. Aghvami, F. Said, S. A. Ghorashi - US Patent 8,681,684, 2014.
Full publication list on Google Scholar
For full list of my publications, please see:Google Scholar
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Vision
- Data Communications and Networks
- Computer Systems and Networks
- Wireless & Mobile Networks
- Applied Mathematics
- Statistics & Probability for Engineering Applications
- Engineering Mathematics
- Stochastic Processes