Royal Docks School of Business and Law
We create partnerships and collaborations with leading business, law, tourism and technology companies to offer you unique courses, placements and collaboration opportunities with the aim of ensuring you move seamlessly from study to career.
Focus on technology
We will prepare you for Industry 4.0, embedding digital proficiency into the heart of our courses. With courses in areas like fintech, artificial intelligence, data analytics and cyber criminology, we ensure to keep in step with the digital revolution.
Beating heart of East London
With our campuses in East London's burgeoning Stratford and Docklands, you'll benefit from being in close proximity to innovative start-ups, global corporations and London's only enterprise zone. Neighbouring the City and Canary Wharf also ensures you are primed for a professional career.
Who we are
The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a contemporary and vibrant learning community where we focus on providing a transformational educational experience for our students. We are on a cusp of a new digital revolution and have designed our courses with an understanding of how technology has advanced the practices of business and law.
In saying that, we also recognise that technology is just a tool - it is people with influence, experience and vision that will shape the digitally evolved world of the future.
Our ambition is to be a global school of stature, producing those future leaders, thinkers and paradigm-shifters. We have a natural advantage - our location sets us in the heart of one of the most diverse and exciting commercial cultures in the world, a stone's throw from traditional blue-chip institutions as well as the disruptors of the burgeoning tech and start-up sector.
In 2021 we celebrated 45 years of Law at University of East London.See more.
- The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a pioneering school with a diverse student body in one of the world's most multicultural and vibrant areas at the heart of £1.7bn regeneration programme in what has been hailed as London's third financial district.
- Our revolutionary Professional Fitness and Mental Wealth programme recognises the rising demand for human skills, putting these at the heart of all our degrees. These soft skills, such as critical thinking, emotional intelligence and resilience coupled with practical skills, such as digital proficiency and industry connections, will help future-proof your career.
- Our teaching staff have extensive professional real-world experience offering courses that are professionally-accredited with real-world experience essential to our quest to prepare students for a successful career.
- We are an educational hub that reaches out to the world-leading resources on our doorstep. With a wide range of industry links and connections, we give our students exposure to some of the biggest brands and names through partnerships, placement opportunities, live project briefs, joint courses and research collaborations.
- Our teaching expertise is supported by our cutting edge facilities. Our Bloomberg training suite is one of the largest in the country, providing access to the same financial trading facilities used by financial and business professionals around the world.
- Our law department celebrated 45 years of teaching law in September 2020 and this tradition of activist law is coupled to the most up-to-date facilities, including a dedicated mooting room, and opportunities to network at the heart of the UK's world-renowned legal sector.
- Our criminology and policing qualifications prepare you for work in the real world. Our new Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit frequently leads on public policy initiatives while our pro-bono Legal Advice Centre offers help to people facing genuine legal concerns in a community often unable to access help.
Many of our courses are accredited by the relevant industry bodies. Our accreditations include:
- Chartered Banker Institute (CBI)
- Chartered Instituter of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- CPA Australia
- ICAEW Chartered Accountants
- The Association of international accountants
- CFA Institute
- Institute of Hospitality
- Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)
- Bar Standards Board (BSB)
- National Association of Licensed Paralegals (NALP)
- College of Policing (COP)
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND FINANCE
We have superb links with businesses in Canary Wharf, London and across the world. Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Nomura, IAG Cargo, Macquarie, HSBC, Barclays, Wells Fargo and Metro Bank. Engage with the Knowledge Dock which houses growing businesses and organises a range of events and activities for small businesses and the wider East London community.Our Tax and Accountancy clinic provides free advice to business and acts as a link for you to gain practical industry skills.
LAW, POLICING AND JUSTICE
Take part in debates in the law department's own Mooting Room and help make a difference in the community through the University of East London's Legal Advice Centre. Give you expertise to those unable to pay for legal assistance and gain legal experience on real-life issues. Join our recently pioneered Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit (OHCCU) specialising in investigation, dissemination, education and policy formation.
HOSPITALITY, EVENTS AND TOURISM
Benefit from our location in one of the most visited cities in the world. With core teaching facilities at East London, you'll have the chance to visit culture and tourism hotspots across the capital. We have major conference and sporting venues such as the ExCel Centre and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on our doorstep, and fantastic links with museums, hotels and restaurants throughout London.
Courtroom Facility and Legal Advice Centre
The Mock Court Room and Legal Advice Centre provide a great foundation for students to practice Law and work with the public on real life cases.
Trading Floor Facility
The Bloomberg training suite is one of the largest in the country, providing access to the same financial trading facilities used by financial and business professionals around the world.
Strategy and Analytics Lab
The Royal Docks School of Business and Law offer their students this unique facility, hosted in partnership with Amazon Web Services. From artificial intelligence, big data, cloud computing and 'Fintech', the Strategy and Analytics Lab enables their students to engage with and understand consumer behaviour in real-time.
Explore our subject areas
Business Management Entrepreneurship and Finance
Our undergraduate and postgraduate courses are designed to provide you with the skills, qualifications and contacts you need to excel in your career.Learn more about our work and the courses on offer
Hospitality Events and Tourism
Our courses will help you to develop your technical, supervisory and managerial abilities, preparing you for a global industry.Learn more about our work and the courses on offer
Law Policing and Justice
Our law courses provide education that relates to legal knowledge in a social context, preparing for legal practice or work in the legal field.Learn more about our work and the courses on offer
Dean: Professor Mohammad Ali
- Dean of Royal Docks School of Business and Law: Professor Mohammad Ali
- Director of Careers and Enterprise: Adam Doyle
- Director of Impact and Innovation: Shampa Roy-Mukherjee
- Director of Education and Experience: Rebecca Page-Tickell
- Recruitment and Marketing Coordinator: Jaya Kypuram
- School Manager: Suzanne McDonald
- Deputy School Manager: Caroline Purcell
- Departmental Officer: Faran Shaheen
- Departmental Officer: Hinna Kazmi
- MBA Administrator : Karen Jaramilo
Department of Business Management, Entrepreneurship and Finance
Head of Department - Dr Richard Courtney
Accounting, Finance and Economics staff
- Agyemang-Badu, Kwabena - Senior Lecturer
- Alibade, Nurat - Senior Lecturer
- Ambe, Emmanuel - Senior Lecturer
- Boahen, Eric Owusu - Course Leader
- Butt, Shazaib - Course Leader
- Duong, Chau - Senior Lecturer
- Fouskas, Vassilis K - Professor, Director of STAMP
- Harrison, Michael - Lecturer
- Hussain, Hammad - Lecturer
- Lai, Baoying - Course Leader
- Osinubi, Igbekele Sunday - Senior Lecturer
- Preddie, Beverley - Senior Lecturer
- Saeedi, Mitra - Course Leader
- Shabani, Mimoza - Senior Lecturer
- Tapuwa Mabvira, Lazarus - Lecturer
- Tuffour, James- Senior Lecturer
Business Management, Marketing and Human Resource Management staff
- Adisa, Toyin - Course Leader
- Al-Abdulrazak, Rula - Senior Lecturer
- Aylott, Liz - Lecturer
- Boocock, Andrew - Course Leader
- Brownbridge, Leslie - Lecturer
- Darvall, Emilia - Lecturer
- Garvin, Wilma - Senior Lecturer
- Gbadamosi, Ayantunji - Course Leader
- Hayes, John Paul - Senior Lecturer
- Jeffrey, Pamela - Course Leader
- Kellici, Gerta - Course Leader
- Kelly, Aidan - Senior Lecturer
- Koumproglu, Antonia - Lecturer
- Kypuram, Jaya - Senior Lecturer
- Mingazova, Diliara - Course Leader
- Olagundoye, Ann - Course Leader
- Okoya, Olajumoke - Senior Lecturer
- Naseer Akhtar, Muhammad - Senior Lecturer
- Ritchie, Jude - Lecturer
- Unhale, Manish - Senior Lecturer
Department of Law, Policing and Justice
Head of Department - Barry Collins
Criminology and Policing staff
- Cunningham, Emma - Course Leader
- DeMarco, Jeffery - Course Leader
- Hunt, Jason - Lecturer
- Javaid, Ali Raza - Senior Lecturer
- Mclaughlin, Caroline - Lecturer
- Mehtab, Nusrit - Course Leader
- Uduwerage-Perera, Ruwan - Course Leader
- Walker, Brian - Course Leader
- Akoto, Augustina - Course Leader
- Ahmad, Saadiya - Senior Lecturer
- Glennon, Patrick - Course Leader
- Hobby, Catherine - Course Leader
- Kivotidis, Dimitros - Lecturer
- Kufuor, Kofi - Professor
- Macfarlane, Lorna - Lecturer
- Marinova, Miroslava - Course Leader
- Meloni, Annalisa - Senior Lecturer
- Onafuwa, Olubunmi - Lecturer
- Reynolds, Michael - Senior Lecturer
- Sait, Siraj - Professor
- Salami, Iwa - Reader (Associate Professor) / Course Leader
- Spriakes, Lisa - Lecturer
- Stokes, Elizabeth - Senior Lecturer
- Unwin, Mark - Senior Lecturer
Department of Innovation and Management
Director of Hospitality and Tourism - Lisa Wyld
The Institute of Hospitality and Tourism Staff:
- Adjey, Zoe - Lecturer
- Ali, Naz - Course Leader
- Constantinescu, Alexandra - Course Leader
- Gale, Karen - Lecturer
- Linden, Henrik - Senior Lecturer
- Musamadya, Lynthon - Course Leader
- Palkowski, Michael - Lecturer
- Preyre, Alexis - Lecturer
- Schmitz, Birte - Senior Lecturer
- Reid, Roberto - Lecturer
Strategy and Leadership Staff:
- Aluko, Akinseye - Lecturer
- Bigi, Alessandro - MBA Director
- Chang, Kirk - Professor
- Choudhury, Shohail - Lecturer
- Davies, Vic - Senior Lecturer
- Dhesi, Harinder - Senior Lecturer
- Frimpong, Francis - Lecturer
- Huang, Qingan - Senior Lecturer
- Khoso, Altaf- Lecturer
- Raszewski, Slawomir - Senior Lecturer
- Riaz, Nazish - Lecturer
- Russell, Giles - Lecturer
- Sameer, Muhammad - Lecturer
- Sandland, Stephanie - Senior Lecturer
- Sinah, Sujay - Lecturer
- Terry, June - Lecturer
- Thankappan - Nair, Preethi - Lecturer
- Udeogu, Ejike - Course Leader
Research, Impact and Innovation
The School of Business and Law is home to high quality, industry specific, practice related world-class research originating from our staff and research centres. The Centre for Innovation Management and Enterprise is a research and development centre that has been created by the School with the support of Martin Slark and Molex Inc. Its vision is to achieve and sustain globally recognised thought leadership in these two important areas. The Centre for the Study of States, Markets and People promotes advanced and applied research within the fields of law, politics, sociology, history and economics. The Noon Centre has established several collaborative partnerships and a portfolio of UN funded projects on gender and land development, climate change and human rights, and gender and age. It has carried out consultative services for several international organisations and governments. At local level, it supports key collaborative projects in Newham Council, such as '50 steps to a Healthier Newham' and is developing work on the economic impact of COVID-19 in East London.
For more information on our research interests and groups, and research degrees, visit our Research page.
You'll be situated in the heart of London's most energetic and rapidly changing district. Classes take place in our ultra-modern teaching hubs at University Square Stratford and Docklands campus. The bespoke and modern campus facilities are complete with extensive 24-hour library access, tiered lecture theatres, seminar rooms, cafes and shops.
We have tailored facilities like the MBA suite and the Bloomberg terminal and take part in debates in the law department's own Mooting Room.
Hear from our graduates
Why Jessica chose UEL
Mat Braddy joined UEL through Clearing
Mat Braddy joined UEL through Clearing
Mat Braddy found success as a marketing professional working with Just Eat when it was a fledgling startup, he now invests in companies, mentors new businesses at Seedcamp and holds regular workshops at Google’s London campus
Coming from a small university in America, I did not know what to expect from a postgraduate degree in London. The lecturers are all incredibly supportive and help the students in any way they can. UEL has enriched my knowledge, and it was an inspiring experience, both academically and mentally. "
MSc International Business Management