The Production of Place, SRI
Department of Architecture & Visual Arts , School of Architecture Computing and Engineering
Professional and technical studies tutor, researcher and PhD supervisor in Architecture.
- BA Architecture
- PG Dip Architecture
- PG Dip (prac) Architecture
- MA (Regen)
- Architect (ARB)
- RIBA Research Trust Award (2016)
- RIBA President's Award for research in ethics and sustainability (2018)
Areas Of Interest
Architecture and urbanism, sustainability, justice and equality, cycling.
Roland Karthaus is an architect, educator and researcher in the field of urbanism. He has twenty years' experience as a qualified architect and practitioner and is founding director of award-winning RIBA Chartered Practice Matter Architecture and is a Design Council Built Environment Expert. He has taught and researched in Architecture at the University of East London since 2008, leading the professional studies teaching across the school, and taught a Masters in Architecture and Sustainability as well as Programme Leader for the March Architecture professional course and supervising PhD students.
Roland was a named Researcher in the 2014 REF submitting two portfolios. He co-organised the Production of Place international conference at UEL in 2012 and has secured and led several grant-funded research projects and is regular invited speaker at conferences and seminars in the UK and abroad. In 2018 he won an RIBA President's award for research in ethics and sustainability for his research into health and wellbeing in the Justice sector funded by Innovate UK, the RSA, the Tudor Trust and Garfield Weston.
- Director, Matter Architecture
- Design Council Built Environment Expert
- Design and Quality Review Panel member (various)
- RIBA Planning Advisory Group
- Roman Road Community Land Trust member
My research takes an architectural design perspective on interdisciplinary research into health, wellbeing and justice in the built environment.
Most recent research
Rethinking Intergenerational housing (funded by Innovate UK and Camden Council)
- Bougnoux, F. and Karthaus, R. (2013), 'Naya Raipur: Shaping a new capital city to fit Indian Life', Les Ateliers Internationaux, France ISBN 979-10-93009-00-1 http://www.ateliers.org
- Karthaus, R. and Smith C. E, (ed.) De Mellow J. (2012), 'Design for Life', Article in the RSA Journal, Wardour, London, Volume CLVIII No. 5552, Winter 2012, ISSN: 0958-0433
- Karthaus, R. and Kyrkou, D., (2011) 'Urban sustainability standards: predetermined checklists or adaptable frameworks?', Procedia Engineering, Volume 21, 2011, Pages 204-211, ISSN 1877-7058, 10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2005.
- Karthaus, R. (lead researcher), (2011), 'Neighbourhood profiling project' http://www.neighbourhoodprofile.org
- Chandler, A. and Karthaus, R. (2011)Making Place - handwork in / for / of the community, http://www.biad.bcu.ac.uk/research/wellbeing2011/
- Redesigning prison: the architecture and ethics of rehabilitation, 2019 Karthaus, R., Block, Lucy and Hu, Anthony, The Journal of Architecture. 24 (2), pp. 193-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/13602365.2019.1578072
- Wellbeing in Prison Design, Matter Architecture, 2017, https://www.matterarchitecture.uk/research/wellbeing-in-prisons/
- RSA Transitions: Building a rehabilitation culture, Karthaus, R. O'Brien, R. 2013, The RSA, London
- Synthesis of the Naya Raipur workshop, Bougnoux, F. and Karthaus, R., 2013, www.ateliers.org, ISBN 979-10-93009-00-1
- Urban sustainability standards: predetermined checklists or adaptable frameworks? Kyrkou, D. and Karthaus, R. presented at the International Green Buildings and Sustainable Cities Conference, Bologna, 15/16 September 2011, Procedia Engineering, Volume 21, 2011, Pages 204-2011, ISSN 1877-7058, 10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2005.
- Professional studies in Architecture: BA (Hons) and MArch Architecture
- MA Architecture, Sustainability and Design
- MArch Architecture (design, live projects)
- PhD supervision (urbanism)
- Engineering with Architecture (City University)