Dr Mimoza Shabani
Senior Lecturer in Financial Economics
Centre for the Study of States, Markets and People (STAMP)
Department of Business , Royal Docks School of Business and Law
Areas Of Interest
International Banking; Offshore Financial Centres; Japanese Economy; Financialisation; Developing Economics.
I am a Senior Lecturer in Financial Economics and have been at the University of East London since 2015. I hold a Masters degree in Business Economics from City University and obtained my PhD in economics from SOAS, University of London. I have published a number of papers in journals such as New Political Economy, Cambridge Journal of Economics and Journal of Post-Keynesian Economics. I teach Behavioural Economics, Research Methods and Ethics in Banking.
Michael Harrison, An analysis of the behaviours of financial market stakeholders in response to low latency microstructures.
- Shabani, M., (2022), Banks during the pandemic: A Japanese perspective, Journal of Economic Issues, LVI(2) (forthcoming).
- D’Avino, C, and Girardin, E., and Shabani, M., (2021), Bank Liquidity creation: A new global dataset for emerging and developing countries, Review of World Economics, August 2021.
- Lysoundrou, P., Shabani, M., and D’Avino, C.,(2020), The explosive growth of the US ABCP market between 2004 and 2007: an integrated empirical analysis, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, November 2020.
- D’Avino, C., and Shabani, M., (2020), A new approach to measuring universal banking, Bulletin of Economic Research, August 2020.
- Karwowski, E., Shabani, M., and Stockhammer, E., (2019), Dimension and Determinants Financialisation: Comparing OECD Countries since 1997, New Political Economy, 25 (6), 957-977.
- Cerpa, N., Comert, H., D’Avino, C., Dymski, G., Kaltenbrunner, A., Petratou, E., and Shabani, M., (2019), Too Big to Manage: US Megabanks’ Competition by Innovation and the Microfoundations of Financialisation, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 43 (4), 1103-1121.
- Lysoundrou, P., and Shabani, M.,(2018), The Explosive Growth of the ABCP Market between 2004 and 2007: A Search for Yield Story, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Vol. 41 (4), 526-546.
- Shabani, M., and Toporowski, J., (2017), Finance Theory, Crisis and Instability, FESSUD Working Paper No. 205.
- Shabani, M., Stenfors, A. and Toporowski, J., (2016), Bank Risk Premia and Abenomics: The Return of the Japan Premium in the Cross-Currency Swap Market, LSE Financial Market Group, Special Paper No. 242.
- Shabani, M., and Toporowski, J., (2015), Changes in the Relationship between the Japanese Financial and the Real Sectors in the Present Financial and Economic Crisis, FESSUD Working Paper No. 28.
- Tyson, J., Shabani, M., and Toporowski, J., (2015), The Financial System in the UK, FESSUD Working Paper No. 14. Shabani, M., and Toporowski, J., (2014), A Nobel Prize for the Empirical Analysis of Asset Prices, Review of Political Economy, 27 (1), 62-85.
- Tyson, J., Shabani, M., and Toporowski, J., (2014), The Financial System and Economic Policy in the UK: Problems of Internationalisation, Intereconomics-Review of European Economic Policy, 49(2).
D’Avino, C., and Shabani, M., (2023), International Banking in Global Perspective (eds). Routledge (forthcoming).
- Shabani, M., (2021), The distribution of dividends of multinational banks operating in Latin America, in Noemi Levy, Jorge Bustamante and Louis-Philippe Rochon (eds), Capital Movements and Corporations Dominance in Latin America: REDUCED Growth and Increased Instability, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Shabani, M., Toporowski, J., and Stenfors, A., (2020), Japanese banks in the international money markets, in Alexis Stenfors and Jan Toporowski (eds), Unconventional Monetary Policy and Financial Stability, Routledge.
- Bikas, K., Karwowski, E., and Shabani, M., (2020), The Japanese balance sheet recession 20 years on, in Alexis Stenfors and Jan Toporowski (eds), Unconventional Monetary Policy and Financial Stability, Routledge.
- Lepper, J., Shabani, M., Toporowski, J., and Tyson, J., (2016), Monetary adjustment and inflation of financial claims in the UK after 1980, in Eckhard Hein, Daniel Detzer and Nina Dodig (eds), Financialisation and the Economic Consequences, Chapter 3, pp. 68-88, Edward Elgar Publishing .
- Dymski, G., and Shabani, M., (2017), On the Geography of financial Bubble and financial Crisis, in Ron Martin and Jane Pollard (eds.),Handbook of Geographies of Money and Finance, Chapter 2, pp.29-50, Edward Elgar Publishing