Department of Architecture & Visual Arts , School of Architecture Computing and Engineering
Maria Alessandra Segantini is a partner and director of C+S Architects based in Italy and London, UK. Her work, in practice as well as in academia, spreads from city master plans to product design and focuses on the combination of heritage and innovation.
Combining academic research and research in practice as the director of C+S Architects, Maria Alessandra Segantini has won a series of international competitions and built projects at all scales, from landscape to urban design, architecture, interior and product design. With this work she was awarded the Special Prize of the Gold Medal of Italian Architecture 2012 and in 2006 for Education, the In Opera Award 2012, the Selection in the European Mies van der Rohe Award 2009, the Sfide 2009 Prize of the Italian Ministry of Landscape and Environment, the FarbDesignPreis 2009, Honourable Mention, the AR+D Award 2008, Honourable Mention. She was recently invited to exhibit at the 15th Venice Architecture Biennale, where she presented the installation Aequilibrium, based on her research on the role of school buildings in contemporary cities.
Her works have been published internationally and exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, in the 8th, 12th and 13th and 14th Biennale of Architecture of Venice, at the MIT in Boston, at the Triennale of Milan, at the Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine in Paris, the Architekturzentrum in Wien and the RIBA in London, among others.
Maria Alessandra has participated in symposia such as the more recent Construction Conference in Udine 2016, the Idea-Tops International Conference and Award in Shenzhen and the Moscow City Conference in Russia.
She has lectured in some of the most prestigious international universities such as Columbia GSAPP, Cornell and Syracuse University in the State of New York, USA, Rhode Island School of Architecture, USA, at Cambridge University and Bath in the UK, at Hasselt University in Belgium, at the IUAV in Venice and the Universities of Alghero, Ferrara and Roma La Sapienza in Italy, Moratuwa University in Colombo, Sri Lanka as well as being a visiting professor at MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Maria Alessandra Segantini is presently leading the UEL 'Future Heritage' research group in collaboration with the Italian Ministry of Culture and investigating the Riviera del Brenta.
Other ongoing research is related to the role of school buildings in contemporary cities, a work which was presented and published for the Venice Architecture Biennale 2016 and the potential of new materials in the productions of public spaces.
- C. Cappai, M.A.Segantini, PPS. Ponzano Primary School, in: AA.VV., Wonderland for Children. Architecture of Kindergarten and Primary School, Beijing, 2012, pp. 310-316
- C. Cappai, M.A. Segantini, Ordinary-less/Ordinary-ness, in: F. Bilò, Ordinaryness, Piano Progetto Città +29 +30, 2015
- C. Cappai, MA Segantini, Aequilibrium, Antiga Ed., Venice, book
- C+S Architects, Chiarano Primary School, in n. 136, 2014, pp. 112-121
- Harbor Brain Building, in: AA.VV., Gold Medal of Italian Architecture, catalogue of the exhibition, Bologna 2012, pp. 78-83, 138-139, 198-199
- C.Cappai, M.A. Segantini, Transduction, in R. Salvi, Identity Matters. Architecture between Individualism and Homologation, Milan 2014, pp. 37-48
- M.A. Segantini, Translation Architecture, in n. 09|2012, pp. 105-119
- M. Vincenti, a cura di, C+S Architects. TranslationArchitecture, Firenze 2012
- AA.VV., Feeling Contexts. C+S Architects, SA+P Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, 2013, book
- AA.VV., Housing Contest. Design Directory for high performance, low-cost residential buildings, Salerno 2012, pp. 102-109
- Carlo Cappai, MA Segantini, Dormitory of Polo University in Novoli in: C3 n. 310, June 2010, pp. 180-187
- M.A. Segantini, Contemporary Housing, Skira, Milan 2008, book
- M.A. Segantini, Actions for public space, in: n. 65, 2012, pp. 102-105
- C.Cappai, M.A. Segantini, LCV. Law-Court Offices in Venice, PPS. Ponzano Primary School, HBB.
- C.Cappai, M.A.Segantini, LCV, in n. 29, Fall 2013, pp. 120-131
Maria Alessandra Segantini is co-teaching UNIT 5 MArch studio with Carlo Cappai, as well as a theoretical seminar on heritage and the consumption and production of spaces. She is a PhD supervisor.