Dr Iwa Salami
Reader (Associate Professor)
Centre of FinTech
Department of Law & Criminology , Royal Docks School of Business and Law
- Reader (Associate Professor) in Financial Law and Regulation
- Co-Director, Centre of FinTech
- Programme Leader, LLM FinTech Law
- Programme Leader, Postgraduate Research Degrees (Law)
- Deputy Chair, School's Research Degrees Sub-Committee
- Executive Board Member, Centre for the Study of States, Markets and People
- PhD (London)
- LLM (London)
- LLB (London)
- PG Cert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
Areas Of Interest
- Regulation of mobile payments, crowd-funding;
- Regulation of Web 3.0 application in finance including crypto-assets, stablecoins,
decentralised finance (DeFi), Non-fungible tokens (NFTs), the metaverse;
- Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) - wholesale and retail;
- CBDCs and regional projects;
- Legal Dimensions of DLT/ Blockchain Technology.
Dr Salami is keen to supervise potential PhD students interested in researching any
Dr Iwa Salami is a Reader (Associate Professor) in Law at the Royal Docks
Prior to joining UEL, she was a research fellow at the Centre for Commercial
Dr Salami has published extensively in the field of financial regulation in
Iwa holds an LLB from University of Westminster, an LLM from King's College,
- Governing Council Member / Trustee, The British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA)
- External Examiner, LLM International Commercial Law Programmes, University of Reading
- Consultant / Alternate Lead of the Policy Advisory Group, Esher and Makarios Legal Practitioners
Most recent publications
- Salami, I(2022) 'Cryptocurrency, NFTs and the metaverse threaten an environmental nightmare - here's how to avoid it' in The Conversation on 8 February 2022
- Salami, I (2022) 'Crypto countries: Nigeria and El Salvador’s opposing journeys into digital
currencies' in The Conversation, 13 January 2022.
- Salami, I (2021) 'Challenges and Approaches to Regulating Decentralised Finance' in the American
Journal of International Law Unbound, Issue 115, 6 December 2021, pp. 425-429,
- Salami, I (2021) 'Nigeria's digital currency: what the eNaira is for and why it's not perfect' in
The Conversation, 10 November 2021.
- Salami, I (2021) 'Decentralised Finance and UNSDGs - How Should Regulators Respond?' in The
World Financial Review, 27 July 2021.
- Salami, I (2021) 'Bitcoin and Other Crypto-Assets in 2021 - What Does Regulation Hold for the
Industry?' International Investor, Winter 2020-21 Edition, pp. 22 - 26.
- Salami, I (2021) 'Financial Technology and African Capital Markets Post COVID-19', Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation (accepted for publication).
- Salami, I (2020) 'COVID-19 Crisis in Africa: Leveraging FinTech and RegTech for Economic Recovery' 35 (10) Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 410 - 420.
- Salami, I (2020) 'Decentralised Finance: A Holistic Approach to Regulating the Crypto Industry', 35(7) Journal of International Banking and Financial Law 496 - 499.
- Salami, I (2020) 'Cryptoassets Regulation in Africa: RegTech and SupTech Considerations' The African Reinsurer Volume 34, June 2020.
- Salami, I. (2019) 'Alternative Financing Approaches and Regulation in Africa', in Daniel Makina (ed.) Extending Financial Inclusion in Africa (Elsevier 2019).
- Salami, I (2019) 'Facebook's Libra: A Global Monetary System Governed by Private Corporations? E-International Relations' 8 October 2019.
- Salami, I (2019) 'From Bitcoin to Libra: A Global Public - Private Partnership Approach to Regulation,' European Financial Review August - September 2019.
- Salami, I (2018) 'Cryptocurrencies - Cross-Border Financial Regulatory Dimensions,' European Financial Review April - May 2018.
- Salami, I (2018) 'Terrorism Financing with Virtual Currencies: Can Regulatory Technology Solutions Combat This', Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, volume 41, Issue 12: 968 - 989;.
- Dr Salami joins 34 other specialists giving their predictions on the price of Bitcoin over the next decade in the April 2022 Finder Cryptocurrency Report.
- Dr Iwa Salami, comments in the Nigerian Vanguard article 'Africa's first digital currency eNaira pushes through a difficult environment', on 4 April 2022.
- Dr Iwa Salami featured in an interview with Tech monitor on 'How the eNaira is turning CBDC theory into reality' on 3 March 2022.
- Dr Iwa Salami featured on ABC - RN Breakfast with Patricia Karvelas Show on 20 Jan 2022 discussing, 'Spain cracks down on cryptocurrency advertising'.
- Dr Iwa Salami featured on The Conversation Weekly podcast on 13 January 2022 discussing 'Crypto countries: Nigeria and El Salvador's opposing journeys into digital currencies'.
- Dr Iwa Salami appeared with Fred Schebesta, and Will Harbone at the Independent's free cryptocurrency expert panel event, 'Crypto experts predict which bitcoin rivals to look out for in 2022' with Anthony Cuthbertson on 8 December 2021
- Dr Iwa Salami's article featured in The Conversation on 10 November 2021 on 'Nigeria's digital currency: what the eNaira is for and why it's not perfect'.
- Dr Iwa Salami gave an interview to ScDev.Net Africa Science Focus podcast with Fiona Broom on 19 July 2021 on the subject 'AgriAfrica: Blockchain for farming'.
- Dr Iwa Salami, featured on ITV news with Kevin Ashford on 20 August 2021 discussing 'Non-fungible Tokens (NFTs) and their future in the music and arts industry'.
- Dr Iwa Salami, appeared with Fred Schebesta on The Independent's Ask An Expert on ' Cryptocurrency Experts Discuss Market Lull and Meme Coins' with Anthony Cuthbertson on 8 July 2021.
- Dr Iwa Salami gave an interview to Umwe Africa on 12 June 2021 on 'Cryptocurrency and Blockchain and African government policies on Regulation'.
- Dr Iwa Salami appeared with Fred Schebesta on The Independent's Ask An Expert with Anthony Cuthbertson on 20 May 2021 on 'Crypto Market Turmoil: Two Experts Unpick Chaotic Week for Bitcoin, Ethereum and other Cryptocurrencies'.
- Dr Iwa Salami's article featured in The Conversation on 20 May 2021 on 'Ethiopia's blockchain deal is a watershed moment - for the technology, and for Africa'.
- Dr Iwa Salami appeared on The Agenda with Stephen Cole on 21 March 2021 discussing 'The Future of Cryptocurrency'.
- Sputnik Radio: 'Regulating cryptocurrency is a very controversial subject' 14 December 2020 available at https://soundcloud.com/radiosputnik/economist-regulating-the-crypto-industry-is-a-very-controversial-subject
- Salami, I. 'Decentralised finance calls into question whether the crypto industry can ever be regulated' The Conversation (11 December 2020) available at https://theconversation.com/decentralised-finance-calls-into-question-whether-the-crypto-industry-can-ever-be-regulated-151222
- Salami, I. 'Analysis of Ham Enterprises Limited & 2 Others v Diamond Trust Bank (U) Limited & Another' Afronomics Law Blog (21 October 2020) available at https://www.afronomicslaw.org/2020/10/20/analysis-of-ham-enterprises-limited-2-others-v-diamond-trust-bank-u-limited-another/
- Dr Iwa Salami of the Business and Law School featured as one of 30 Fintech Leaders surveyed to predict what the future holds for crypto and decentralized finance in the Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report October 2020. For the full report see https://www.finder.com/cryptocurrency-predictions
- Salami, I. Response to consultation on addressing the regulatory, supervisory and oversight challenges raised by "global stablecoin" arrangements, 24 July 2020, available at https://www.fsb.org/wp-content/uploads/Dr.-Iwa-Salami.pdf
- Dr Iwa Salami of the Business and Law School featured as one of 28 Fintech Leaders surveyed to predict what the future holds for crypto and digital currencies in the Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report July 2020.
- Salami, I. 'FinTech Regulation and Africa’s Growth Post Covid-19' Afronomics Law Blog (25 June 2020) available at https://www.afronomicslaw.org/2020/06/25/fintech-regulation-and-africas-growth-post-covid-19/
- Salami, I. 'While coronavirus rages, Bitcoin has made a leap towards the mainstream' The Conversation (27 March 2020) available at https://theconversation.com/while-coronavirus-rages-bitcoin-has-made-a-leap-towards-the-mainstream-134925
- Salami, I. 'Why African countries should consider national digital currencies to counter the threats posed by private digital currencies like Facebook Libra' Afronomics Law Blog (6 March 2020) available at https://www.afronomicslaw.org/2020/03/06/why-african-countries-must-consider-national-digital-currencies-to-counter-the-threats-posed-by-private-digital-currencies-like-facebook-libra/
- Salami, I. 'Is the time right for a single currency in West Africa?' The Conversation (26 February 2020) available at https://theconversation.com/is-the-time-right-for-a-single-currency-in-west-africa-130731
- Salami, I. 'Risk mitigation in decentralised financing - Crypto lending' Thomson Reuters Accelus (28 November 2019).
- Fanni, R (2019), 'A Scientist's Opinion: Interview with Dr Iwa Salami about the Libra Project' The European Science Media Hub, 4 September (accessed 3 October 2019, https://sciencemediahub.eu/2019/09/04/a-scientists-opinion-interview-with-dr-iwa-salami-about-the-libra-project/).
- Salami, I. 'Facebook's Libra: Money Laundering potential and FATF rules on virtual assets' Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence (3 July 2019).
- Salami, I. 'Libra: Four reasons to be extremely cautious about Facebook's new currency' The Conversation (20 June 2019) available at https://theconversation.com/libra-four-reasons-to-be-extremely-cautious-about-facebooks-new-currency-119123
- Salami, I. 'Virtual Asset Laundering and Cryptocurrency Blending and Mixing Services' Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence (20 May 2019).
- Salami, I. 'Cryptocurrencies are finally going mainstream - the battle is on to bring them under global control' The Conversation (16 May 2019) available at https://theconversation.com/cryptocurrencies-are-finally-going-mainstream-the-battle-is-on-to-bring-them-under-global-control-117112
- Salami, I. 'Nigeria: what Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election means for Africa's biggest economy' The Conversation (5 March 2019) available at https://theconversation.com/nigeria-what-muhammadu-buharis-re-election-means-for-africas-biggest-economy-112806
- Salami, I. 'Cryptocurrencies - Cross-Border Financial Regulatory Dimensions' The European Financial Review (April – May 2018) available at http://www.europeanfinancialreview.com/?p=23432
- Salami, I. 'Bursting the Bitcoin bubble. In The Conversation' The Conversation (23 March 2018) available at https://theconversation.com/anthill-23-bursting-the-bitcoin-bubble-93337
- Salami, I. 'Why unregulated cryptocurrencies could trigger another financial crisis' The Conversation (15 January 2018) available at https://theconversation.com/why-unregulated-cryptocurrencies-could-trigger-another-financial-crisis-89808
- Salami, I. 'Virtual Currencies: A Global Regulatory Approach' UEL Press Briefing on Cryptocurrencies at UEL on 24 January 2018).
- Salami, I. 'Bitcoin's surge intensifies need for global regulation of cryptocurrencies' The Conversation (29 November 2017) available at https://theconversation.com/bitcoins-surge-intensifies-need-for-global-regulation-of-cryptocurrencies-86893
- Dr. Iwa Salami, to speak at the Point Zero Forum on Innovations in Digital Finance: An invite-only conference, Zurich, Switzerland 21 - 23 June 2022, forthcoming..
- Dr. Iwa Salami hosted the first UEL Centre of FinTech Roundtable event on 'FinTech and Fraud' on 25 February 2022.
- Dr. Iwa Salami delivered the Keynote speech on the 'Future of Finance in Africa' on 24 February 2022 at the African Digital Finance Summit 2022.
- I Salami, Speaker, 'Regulatory priorities for Decentralised Finance' at the African Digital Finance Summit, Nairobi, Kenya, 18-19 February 2021.
- I Salami, Speaker on 'Digital Transformation and Finance During the Covid-19 Crisis and Regulatory Dimensions' at the UEL Research is Open 2020 Virtual Conference, 31 July 2020.
- I Salami, Chair of the 'Regulatory priorities for Fintech - emerging technologies, compliance and consumer protection' at the Fintech in the UK Westminster Business Forum (virtual) policy conference, 2 April 2020.
- I Salami, Panellist, 'Cross-border Developments in Digital Assets and Implications for the UK' at the Fintech in the UK Westminster Business Forum (virtual) policy conference, 2 April 2020.
- I Salami, Panellist, 'The Future of the FinTech Sector' at the Women in FinTech Summit, organised by Re-Work, London, 31 March 2020 (cancelled).
- I Salami, 'Future of cryptocurrency, blockchain and its role in an increasingly digital society' Special Parliamentary Debate at the Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London, organised by Parliament Street Think Tank, 24 March 2020 (cancelled).
- I Salami, 'Cryptocurrency Regulation: Balanced Regulation Needed' at the FinTechTalents Festival, PrintWorks London, 17 November 2019.
- I Salami, Panellist on, 'Cryptocurrency and Blockchain: Where Next?' Parliamentary Debate at the Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London, organised by Parliament Street Think Tank, 27 March 2019.
- I Salami, Discussant on 'FinTech in East Africa: From Local Incubator to Pan-African Hub' at Stephenson Harwood, London, organised by the British Institute in Eastern Africa, sponsored by the British Academy, 28 November 2018.
- I Salami, Panellist on, 'Rights Based Approach to Doing Business for Sustainable Development in Sierra Leone' at the 73rd United Nations General Assembly side event, New York, sponsored by UNDP and LexisNexis, 27 September 2018.
- I Salami, Speaker on 'Regulating Cryptocurrencies' at the UEL 2018 Research & Knowledge Exchange Conference on Global Challenges, University of East London, Docklands, 28 June 2018.
- I Salami, Speaker on 'Energy Finance and Investments in Africa' at CCLS - UNIDROIT Development Finance in Emerging Markets Conference at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford, 14 April 2018.
- I Salami, Speaker on 'African Continental Free Trade Agreement and the Role of Law' at the African Studies Seminar Series at the UCL Institute of Advanced Studies, UCL, London, 21 March 2018.
- I Salami, Chair at Centre for the Study of States, Markets & People, School of Business & Law, University of East London Annual Research Colloquium on 'Neoliberalism and Ordoliberalism: One or Two Critiques?' at UEL London, 8 December 2017.
- I Salami, Chair at British Academy Lecture on 'The Moral Economy of Elections in Africa' at the British Academy, London, 13 June 2017.
- I Salami, Speaker on 'FinTech Regulation in Africa: The Case of Mobile Payments and Cryptocurrencies' at the Fifth Biennial Global Conference of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL) at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg from 7-9 July 2016.
- I Salami, Panel Chair on 'Bankable Power and Infrastructure Projects in Africa' at The Global African Investment Summit at Central Hall, Westminster, London, 1 - 2 December 2015.
- I Salami, Session Chair on 'Accounting Profession and Regulation' at the 5th African Accounting and Finance Association Conference hosted by the University of Mauritius, Mauritius 1 - 4 September 2015.
- I Salami, Speaker at the 5th African Accounting and Finance Association Conference on 'A Regional Approach to Regulating African Cross-border Banks' hosted by the University of Mauritius, Mauritius 1 - 4 September 2015.
- I Salami, Speaker at Chatham House London on 'UK Africa Policy, the Prosperity Agenda and the 'Golden Thread': Between Idealism and Pragmatism?' 23 March 2015
- Banking Law (LLB)
- Commercial Law (LLB)
- Constitutional Law (LLB)
- Contract Law (LLB)
- European Union Law (LLB)
- Law of International Finance (LLM)
- Regulation of Financial Markets (LLM)
- Law of the World Trade Organisation (LLM)
- International Law Problems and Process (LLM)
- FinTech Regulation (LLM)
- Noud Alowaymir (2021): Combating Terrorism Financing in Saudi Arabia
- Clinton Osemwengie (2023): Regulation of Cryptocurrencies in Africa