Mr Carsten Jungfer
Senior lecturer/ Unit A leader
Department of Architecture & Visual Arts , Architecture Computing and Engineering
Carsten is unit A leader at undergraduate level and partner at zectorarchitects which he founded with UEL alumnus Norbert Kling in 2003. His practice has extensive experience in architecture and urbanism and is based in London and Munich.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2016
- Design Advisor at the Islington Conservation and Design Panel 2009 - 2012
- Associate Lecturer / Unit Leader at Oxford Brookes University 2007 - 2013
- ByAK registered Urban Designer 2008
- Co-founder and Partner at zectorarchitects 2003 to present
- ARB registered Architect 2002
Carsten has extensive professional experience in fields of architecture and urbanism as lead designer at zectorarchitects and collaborator at London practices including Chora Institute for Architecture and Urbanism, SH Architects, East Architects and Reading & West. Areas of work cover furniture, retail, housing, arts, community, public realm, infrastructure and urban design. He successfully participated in a wide range of design competitions including winning prizes at Europan.
Carsten is Senior Lecturer and unit A leader at undergraduate level (year 2&3) since 2012. Prior to joining UEL he taught at Oxford Brookes University for six years. He has developed of a teaching methodology that consists of a structured learning framework with inspirational lectures, group workshops, key references to theory and practice and site-workshops that support students to pursue individual interests by working with open briefs. The design and learning approach is site-driven, process-orientated and of multi-scalar nature, with an agenda that investigates shifting social, spatial and material conditions.
1st prize Europan 10 Dessau for a urban design and public realm strategy for the centre of Dessau, Germany 2010
2nd prize Route No.1 Bench competition for Deptford organised by Design for London, 2010
Joint winner at Europan 9 Linz for urban design strategy and mixed use scheme, Austria 2007/08
short listed Europan 8 'Neue Mitte Lauterach', Austria 2005
Carsten is interested in domains in-between architecture and urbanism and in the development of design methodologies for the urban / public realm, that are based on an understanding of urbanism as a process-driven dialogue between a multiplicity of actors, agents and users. Participation in open design competitions is the base for a design-led research that is conducted in parallel to teaching as part of the co-founded practice zectorarchitects.
Key research interests include public realm, urbanism, housing, community developments, participatory processes, infrastructural design strategies, design and planning instruments, experimental site analysis, performative densities & teaching methodology.
Selected Lectures & Conferences
- Green Space Revolution - International congress No.12, Association of French Landscape Architects (SPSP) - 2012 - Palermo, Italy
- Cultivation of public space - Dalston Roof Park (with Rob Pyecroft and Sam Aldenton) - Participation at international conference exploring the multi-dimension of well-being, Birmingham City University & RIBA, 2011
- Adaptive strategies for the public realm in a shrinking context. Lecture at 10x10 Europan Forum Berlin, 2011
- Europan 10 Forum of Results 2010, Neuchatel, Switzerland
- Performative densities - International congress No.11, Association of French Landscape Architects (SPSP), University of Greenwich, London (participant and co-organiser), 2010
- "Co-habited Infrastructures" - International congress No.10, Association of French Landscape Architects (SPSP), University of Florence, Italy, 2009
- Pit-stop connected: Are hybrid typologies a solution for sub-urban environments? - European 9 Forum of Results, Santiago di Compostela, Spain, 2008