Dr Aidan Kelly
Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Internship, Marketing Applied Project
Department of Business , Royal Docks School of Business and Law
Aidan is a Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the Royal Docks School of Business and Law. He is the current Course Leader of the recently validated MSc Marketing and leads modules in Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Work Placement and Marketing Applied Project. His current research interests are in the areas of advertising theory, consumer research and cultural branding.
- I was awarded the "Best Postgraduate Teacher" prize in 2012
- I have been nominated for the UEL Student-Led Teaching Awards in 2016, 2017 and 2018
Areas Of Interest
Advertising theory, consumer research and brand management.
Aidan joined University of East London on July 20, 2009. He is the current Course Leader of the fledgling MSc Marketing course which begins its first cohort in September 2022.
He teaches in the areas of Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Internship, Business Research Methods and Marketing Planning. His research interests are presently in the consumption of vinyl record collections and polysemic interpretations of online advertising campaigns, his current methodological focus is on the application of grounded theory to marketing and consumption-related phenomena.
I serve on the Editorial Advisory Panel for the bestselling textbook "Business Research Methods" (Fifth Edition), authored by Emma Bell, Alan Bryman and Bill Harley (2019, Oxford University Press). I have served as an external panel member for programme validations at Northumbria University and University of Greenwich, and I was External Examiner for the M.B.A. programme at Henley Business School, University of Reading from 2012 - 2016.
I have also validated academic programmes externally for University of East London, with collaborative international partners in Greece (AKMI Metropolitan College) and Egypt (Ain Shams University).
Aidan's research interests are in the areas of consumer research, branding and advertising theory. His most recent project explores consumer collecting practices in the context of vinyl record collections (with Dr Henrik Linden of the Institute of Hospitality and Tourism, University of East London and Dr Richard Courtney of University of East London). He is also researching projects in the areas of polysemic interpretations of online advertising with Dr Hyunsun Yoon (University of Greenwich).
Peer-reviewed journal publications
- Heller, Michael. and Kelly, Aidan. (2015) 'Throwaway history: Brand ephemera and consumer culture', Journal of Macromarketing, 35(3), pp. 397–406.
- Kelly, Aidan., Lawlor, Katrina. and O'Donohoe, Stephanie. (2008) 'A fateful triangle? Tales of art, commerce and science in the Irish advertising field', Advertising & Society Review, 9(3), pp. 1-48.
- Kelly, Aidan., Lawlor, Katrina. and O'Donohoe, Stephanie. (2005) 'Encoding advertisements: The creative perspective', Journal of Marketing Management, 21(5/6), pp. 505-528.
- Kelly, Aidan (2019) 'Brands, branding and brand culture' in Gbadamosi, A. (ed.) Contemporary Issues in Marketing. London: Sage Publications, pp. 155-184.
- Kelly, Aidan. (2014) 'Advertising' in Smith Maguire, J. and Matthews, J. (eds.) The cultural intermediaries reader. London: Sage Publications, pp. 67–76.
- Kelly, Aidan., Lawlor, Katrina. and O'Donohoe, Stephanie. (2009) 'Encoding advertisements: The creative perspective' in Turow, J. and McAllister, M.P. (eds.) The advertising and consumer culture reader. New York: Routledge, pp. 133-149.
- Kelly, Aidan. (2013) 'Book Review: Ernest Dichter and motivation research: New perspectives on the making of post-war consumer culture by Schwarzkopf, S. and Gries, R. (eds.)', Journal of Euromarketing, 22(1-4), pp. 86-89.
- Kelly, Aidan (2010) 'Book Review: Advertising and promotion: An integrated marketing communications approach (Second edition), by Hackley, C.', International Journal of Advertising, 29(4), pp. 501-504.
Selected conference proceedings
- Kelly, Aidan. and Linden, Henrik. (2020) 'Using grounded theory for consumption research: Controversies, challenges and conceptualization', paper presented at the Research is Open: University of East London Research Conference, July 31, 2020.
- Bakeberg, Bastian. and Kelly, Aidan. (2012) 'Value creation practices of brand communities in computer mediated environments: lessons for nonprofit organisations', in proceedings of the 11th International Colloquium on Nonprofit, Social, Arts and Heritage Marketing, London Metropolitan University, September 19 2012, pp. 5-7.
- Magan, Tanvi., Kelly Aidan. and Wheeler, Margaret. (2011) 'Brandscapes as theatre: Extraordinary consumer experience and the Abercrombie & Fitch retail store', in proceedings of the 39th European Marketing Academy Conference (EMAC) Annual Conference, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, May 24 - May 27.
- Kelly, Aidan. (2011) 'Sociocultural branding research (SBR): An evolutionary paradigm for brand management theory' in Bradshaw, A., Hackley, C. and Maclaran, P. (eds.) European Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 9, pp. 439-440.
- Kelly, Aidan. and Lawlor, Katrina. (2010) 'Sociocultural branding research (SBR) A paradigmatic review', in proceedings of the 40th European Marketing Academy (EMAC) Annual Conference, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 1 - June 4.
- Kelly, Aidan, Lawlor, Katrina and O'Donohoe, Stephanie (2007) 'Aesthetic advertisements and scientific evaluations: Divergent philosophies in advertising production' in Fitzsimmons, G. and Moritz, V. (eds.) Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 34, pp. 81-82.
- Kelly, Aidan., Lawlor, Katrina. and O'Donohoe, Stephanie. (2005) 'Encoding advertisements: The creative perspective', in O'Driscoll, A., McDonagh, P., Lawlor, M.A. (eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Dublin Institute of Technology, Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Republic of Ireland, July 5 - July 7.
- Kelly, Aidan., Lawlor, Katrina. and O'Donohoe, Stephanie. (2005) 'Advertising ideology and the encoding of advertising meaning: An ethnographic and discursive approach', in Menon, G. and Rao, A. (eds.), Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 32, pp. 645-646.
- Kelly, Aidan. and Lawlor, Katrina. (2003) 'Advertising ideology and the encoding of advertising meaning: Toward a methodological framework for the study of the social construction of advertising' in Wilson, Jerry (ed.), "Marketing in a Dynamic Global Environment", Proceedings of the Atlantic Marketing Association Nineteenth Annual Conference, Portland, Maine, USA, October 1 - October 4, pp. 247-254.
- Kelly, Aidan. (2002) 'The ideology of the advertising process: An exploration of the generation and creation of advertising meanings and values', in Tynan, A.C., Ennew, C.T., Winklhofer, H, O'Malley, L, McKechnie, S, Mitussis, D, Patterson, M and Liao, M-N (eds.), Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Nottingham University Business School, United Kingdom, July 2- July 5.
BSc (Hons) Marketing
Our BSc (Hons) Marketing programme prepares you for a professional career in marketing management and introduces you to key subjects of marketing. Learn more.Read more
BSc (Hons) Business Management
This degree combines practical professional experience with creative approaches to enterprise and innovation to develop your entrepreneurial spirit.Read more
- MK5021 - Integrated Marketing Communications
- MK5026 - Marketing Internship
- MK6020 – Marketing Applied Project
- SG7002 – Applied Business Project
I supervise academic projects at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. If you have a query related to the MSc Marketing, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org .