Dr Aaron Kans
Head of Department
Department of Engineering & Computing , School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering
Dr Aaron Kans is the Head of the Department of Computer Science and Digital Technologies. He is also the author of several software engineering textbooks that are used both nationally and internationally, and a winner of the Best Lecturer award at the UEL Student Led Teaching Awards.
- BSocSci (Hons) Economics
- MSc Information Systems Engineering (with Distinction)
- PhD Software Engineering
- MBCS (Member of the British Computer Society)
- Winner of Best Lecturer award at the UEL Student Led Teaching Awards (2016)
- UEL VC&P Excellence Award Winner 2021 (Leadership Through Change)
Areas Of Interest
- Software Engineering
- Formal Methods
- Innovative Teaching and Learning Methods
Dr Aaron Kans has been at UEL for over 15 years and during that time he has taught at all levels within our set of computing programmes, largely in the area of software engineering. Aaron has co-authored five textbooks, which are widely used throughout the UK and overseas.
Aaron has had many roles during his time at UEL and is currently the Head of the Computer Science and Digital Technologies Department. In 2016 Aaron was voted the Best Lecturer at the UEL Student Led Teaching Awards and in 2021 he was awarded the VC&P UEL Prize for Leadership through Change.
Dr Aaron Kans’ research interests lie in the fields of software engineering and teaching and learning innovations in the area of Computing. Aaron has co-authored a number of Software Engineering text-books that have been adopted both nationally and internationally in the areas of programming and formal methods.
- Most recent research: Investigating new approaches to facilitate remote teaching of programming
- Research groups: ACE – Research Enhanced Learning & Teaching
- "CODI - A Web Application to Facilitate Live, Remote Programming Labs", Kans, A; Malik, G. and Wathen, J., IEEE Educon 2022 Global Engineering Education Conference
- "Java in Two Semesters - Featuring JavaFX (4th Edition)", Charatan, Q and Kans, A.. 2019. Springer.
- "A Clinical Information System Optimisation Framework using CMAUT", Imafidon C.; Kans, A. and Edoh, A., icirest 2010 Innovative Research In Engineering And Technology; August 2010
- Formal Software Development (From VDM to Java), Charatan, Q and Kans, A.. 2004. Palgrave-Macmillan
BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Learn all about computer science: software engineering, AI, information security and data analytics, computer systems, databases and networks.Read more
BSc (Hons) Computing for Business
You'll learn to apply emerging technology to a business environment, along with core computing skills and specialised business intelligence.Read more
BSc (Hons) Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
The Data Science and Artificial Intelligence combines two key areas of computing: data science and artificial intelligence.Read more
BSc (Hons) Cyber Security Networks*
The course gives you a fundamental understanding of how to protect organisations, networks, IT systems and individuals against cyber attacks and risks.Read more